As I converse with people in different fields I often hear myself say “I’ve done that”. It does seem like I have had a lot of jobs. Today I decided to list the jobs I have had for pay. These are pretty much in chronological order although I sometimes revisited previous jobs.
These are not necessarily career jobs but there is a building of one upon the other and something learned from each. Maybe the thing I learned from the working in a hospital kitchen and being a retail clerk taught me that I better get an education and find better ways of earning a living.
What jobs have you held? What have you learned from them?
So here they are in order, beginning with my early teens:
Paid jobs I have held
- Baby sitting
- Hospital kitchen
- Retail store clerk (men’s underwear, candy, women’s clothing, men’s wear)
- Cashier in hotel coffee shop
- Library assistant
- Substitute teacher
- Sears phone center
- YWCA program director
- Job Finding Workshop Presenter
- Career Search Consultant
- Marketing executive
- Investment Adviser
- Telephone system sales
- Mortgage Loan Consultant
- Real Estate Appraiser
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Law Clerk
Some of these jobs required a license, permit or certificate. I seemed to collect these knowing the one I really wanted was the last one and the one I currently hold– Licensed attorney.
Licences and certificates:
- Food handler permit
- Washington State Teaching Certificate
- Certified Account Executive- Financial Services
- Series 7 stock broker
- Washington and California Insurance License: Life Health and Disability
- California certified real estate appraiser
- California and Washington State Bar License
As I review these lists, it doesn’t look as disjointed as I first thought. There is a pattern and each of them help me do a better job at what I do today.
I also see there are some stories here. What would you like to hear more about?